Note: Some links in this post contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase. That’s actually one of the ways you make money blogging! Thanks for supporting my blogging dreams!
I love to eat potato’s. The problem is when I get them they always sit in the pantry and I forget about them. They will stay in there and start to grow sprouts before I remember I bought them. Thus I had stopped buying bags of them when I went grocery shopping. So I wanted to come up with something that I could keep them in out in the open to remind me I had them. I spent two days constructing this piece below. Which of course after I had finished it and mounted it the husbands opinion came out as did those in my fb group. It was a good idea but the placement wasn’t the best. People were worried about it catching on fire. I only had the fabric in there for the picture but I couldn’t come up with any ideas to cover the zip ties I had used to attach the wire to underside of the wire shelves. It wound up finding a place in another cabinet we use for food. So the time wasn’t totally wasted.
Since I am a determine and stubborn person I decided that I needed to come up with another solution. I had three wooden Ikea spice racks hanging under the bunk bed in the bunkhouse. I had spice jars in them which held my button collection. I decided that I could just put the buttons back in the plastic baggie I was keeping them in and use those. I used all three. I took the bottom portion off two of them then glued them together. I found the perfect place to put them. I painted the rack to match the cabinetry. It turned out much better than I expected.
Also within the last week I finally finished another project I had been thinking about for awhile now. I created some more prep space. A counter-top extension if you will. So I built one. This was really easy to make. The leg screws on and off and the board itself folds down and fits behind the trash can when not in use. I used a piano hinge to attach the extension to the board on the wall. I attached the board on the wall with screws. 1 in each corner. All the needed supplies to make the screwing in and out table leg and the piano hinge can be found at your local hardware store. I found mine at Ace.
Another problem I had was with the railing I had on the stairs. Well if you can call it a railing. It was really more of a handle. It was supposed to be placed inside by the front door so you have something else to grab a hold of when going down the outside stairs. When I asked for a railing to be installed when we made our RV order I thought it would be something like this. I had seen this in several video’s when searching for the perfect layout.
Instead they put this up. Crazy right? Or lazy!
I wound up finding a dealership, who contacted the manufacturer, and wound up being able to place an order. Problem was it was going to be over $40 plus shipping to get it. So I dealt with the crappy one until I figured out my solution. Which just happens to have come to me this year. Or it finally bothered me enough to do something about it. So I went to Home Depot and got a railing that was short, but not short enough. So I brought it home and cut it down. I also got 3 railing supports as well. Then I painted it white. And it’s perfect! Just what I needed.
We also added a few things outside. I got these wonderful stabilizers to put underneath the frame of the RV. They are a bit expensive but totally worth the money. Between the JT Strongarms, the X Wheel Chocks, and these stabilizers our RV doesn’t move a bit. It is definitely a pricey investment to get all of these items but if you are stationary or even semi-stationary for months or years at a time it really does help tremendously. I used to feel it everytime Michael came into the rig. I could feel it rock back and forth especially in the bedroom. I don’t feel it at all now. A little tip: if you want to make sure the stabilizers stay level and don’t move then cut some wood squares and put underneath them. I would stain them a nice color and put a waterproof coating on them so they last longer. If you don’t want wooden pads then I would check out Amazon and see what they have in the plastic pad area. I’m sure they have something that would work under these. Although I do hear & have seen the plastic ones crack and split with constant weight applied so personally I recommend using the wooden blocks.
I got some wheel covers as well. I was skeptical at first buying them from Wayfair but they fit perfectly and are really great quality. The key is I think to buy them one up from the highest number you get. So for example our wheels are 29 inches. There was an option where the size was 27 inches to 29 inches. The next size up went from 29 inches to 32 inches I believe. Instead of picking the one that went up to 29 inches at most, I picked the one that started at 29 inches and went higher. Here are some photos of the new additions. If your interested in getting some of these items yourself then just click the photo below to be redirected to the proper website. (it had been raining the night before when I took this picture to ignore the puddle of water) The wheel covers are an important part of keeping your tires in shape when sitting for long periods of time.
Updated Add-On: When I moved parks (Aug 2017) the new park I came to has mostly grass instead of gravel spots. I needed to figure out a way to keep the feet of the legs up off the ground so they wouldn’t continually sink into the soft ground when rainy season did come. So I came up with these. This picture is just for an example but shows how well they work for areas where you might not have as much of a solid surface for your stands.